Monday, November 5, 2018

Census Microdata

Question:
I notice that Census of Populations PUMFs are no longer being produced and that the DLI Nesstar site has no metadata for Census of Population Master Files since 2006.

For 2011 and 2016 are there any Census products available to the DLI that aren't also available through the public-facing StatCan site? In other words, are paid, custom tabs the only way for DLI members to access Census data that isn't on the StatCan site?

Answer from DLI:
If I’m understanding your question correctly, I think you got caught as I did – the 2011 Census variables are with the NHS PUMF. In , you’ll the NHS under Social Surveys. I learned my lesson a couple of years ago! 

PUMFs for 2016 are forthcoming in 2019 (see https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/dli/prod_date).

Can’t speak to the Master File documentation, though.

Answer from Subject Matter:
Unfortunately the Census 2011 and 2016 Masterfiles are unavailable at the moment, however we are evaluating how to make them accessible.