Thursday, September 16, 2010

2 Questions - Foreign Students & Outward Remittance by Immigrants


I have a student looking for the number of foreign students who come to Canada but not just for college and university studies but also high school, private education etc. In addition, he asks if there are any figures on financial assistance given to these students.

The second question relates to the data on outward remittance i.e. how much money do immigrants send to other countries and which countries by amount.

I would appreciate your help in answering these questions.


Statistics on college and university enrolments by immigration status (Canadian students/International students/Not reported) are available in the Postsecondary Student Information System (PSIS) tables that were recently added to the DLI collection (

Our education contacts have confirmed that they do not collect any data for foreign students at the high school level or in private schools nor do they collect data on financial assistance for foreign students. As mentioned in an off-list message, you may also wish to look into the data on foreign students by level of study that would be available from CIC.

With respect to your second question on outward remittances, your user may be interested in the publications and sources cited in the following Daily release for the 2008 study "Remittances by recent immigrants" : (see the sources listed at the bottom of the release). If the specific information the student requires isn't included in these sources, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I hope that this information is helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.