1.) I'm looking for information regarding poverty and low incomes amongst the Aboriginal population.
2.) Is there a variable for "Off-reserve Aboriginal people" in the Survey of Labour and Income Dynamics Master Files which can be accessed at our RDC?
1.) In regards to information on poverty and low incomes in Aboriginal populations, the author division recommended:
"The Aboriginal Peoples Survey (APS) could extract Low-income cut-offs for Aboriginals off-reserve.< http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p2SV.pl?Function=getSurvey&SDDS=3250&lang=en&db=imdb&adm=8&dis=2>
The National Household Survey (NHS) could also be another option. <http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p2SV.pl?Function=getSurvey&SDDS=5178>. "
2.) The RDC division explained that:
"There are many variables in the SLID that can be used to identify “low income”: types of variables including LICO, LIM and MBM. Examples of these variables are:
(1) licofa27: After tax - Flag to indicate whether the family's income is below the low income cut-off (LICO) for the reference year (1992 base).
(2) limfa27: After tax - Flag to indicate whether the family's income is below the low income measure (LIM) for the reference year. This variable is no longer available as of RY2008. It is therefore set to "Not Applicable" for all respondents. With the release of data for 2010, while there was a revision of the weights and the household-level LIM variables, this variable was not revised for 2006 and 2007.
(3) mbmp27: Market Basket Measure threshold (2000 base) for the family in the reference year. It is the cost of the market basket for the family adjusted for the family composition. The formula to calculate this variable is (MBM for a family of 2 adults and 2 children/ 2)* EQ2SC Available between reference year 2000 and 2007 only. For other years, it is set to "Not Applicable" for all respondents.
There are three variables that identify persons as off-reserve aboriginal:
- a person reported he or she is a member of the Aboriginal target group for Employment Equity purposes;
- a person reported having an Aboriginal background; or
- a person reported himself or herself as a Treaty Indian or Registered Indian as defined by the Indian Act of Canada.
The variables are the following:
- abortg15: Flag to indicate whether person is a member of the Aboriginal target group for Employment Equity purposes.
- eoabor15: Flag to indicate whether person reported an aboriginal background.
- regind15: Flag to indicate if a person is a Treaty Indian or Registered Indian as defined by the Indian Act of Canada.