Friday, June 21, 2019

Saskatchewan Self-harm Data

Question:
I have a researcher interested in a custom tab of data on Suicidal Thoughts & Attempts in SK from the 2015-16 CCHS. They’re hoping for two tabulations based on the following:

Meadow Lake and Surrounding Area

Meadow Lake (city)

Loon Lake (village)

Makwa (village)

Goodsoil (village)

Dorintosh (village)

Rapid View (village)

Green Lake (northern village)


La Ronge and Surrounding Area

La Ronge (northern town) 

Air Ronge (northern village)

Would a custom tab of data at the level of the two broad areas (not the individual communities) be possible?

Answer:
Unfortunately the number of respondents in the two requested geography groupings are too small to provide any estimates.

Follow-Up Answer:
Have you tried the Saskatchewan Coroners Service Northern Regional Office?

It could be worthwhile.  About four years ago I was able to obtain youth suicide numbers for some Ontario Indigenous communities by going to my regional supervising coroner office who then referred me to the right contact at the central office.  I am pretty sure I started out with a phone call to my regional office.  The contact I was referred to at the chief coroner’s office ran a special table for our researcher.