September 21, 2020
We are pleased to inform you that the following product is now available.
Postal Code Conversion File (PCCF) August 2020
- A small number of new postal codesOM are linked to a census subdivision only. These new postal codesOM do not yet link to Statistics Canada's geographic frame. Linkage below the census subdivision will appear on these records when the street and address information becomes available on the geographic frame. This new linkage will appear on subsequent releases of the PCCF.
- The term population centre will replace the term urban area. A population centre will be defined as an area with a population of at least 1,000 and a density of 400 or more people per square kilometre. All areas outside population centres will continue to be defined as rural area. This new terminology will be implemented consistently across the Agency.
- Population centres will be divided into three groups based on the size of their population to reflect the existence of an urban-rural continuum:
- small population centres, with a population of between 1,000 and 29,999;
- medium population centres, with a population of between 30,000 and 99,999;
- large urban population centres, consisting of a population of 100,000 and over.
- Population centre and rural area classification has been added to the file.