Friday, July 12, 2019

PCCF+ Question about Residential Postal Code File

Question:
I’m looking at the November 2018 (V 7b) files and the file labeled ‘Residential postal code file’ does not appear to contain residential postal codes. Is this a mistake?

I don’t use PCCF+ very often and would like to know where I can find the list of national residential postal codes.  There is a file called “Unique postal codes from PCCF” which appears to be what I’m looking for but I can’t find documentation to support this. Also—why is it called ‘unique postal codes’

Answer:
I apologize but I don’t seem to see the “Residential postal code file”?

I’ve double checked with the PCCF team and they’ve said the following:

“As per our agreement with Canada Post, we are not able to share a list of all residential postal codes in Canada – the data are proprietary. The purpose of the PCCF+ is to match USER lists of postal codes with our census geography. The client needs to have their own list of postal codes in order to use PCCF+.

The file indicating “unique postal codes” is a list of unique matches to the PCCF – so it is not a full list of residential postal codes either.

I apologize, but we do not provide a master list. The client may wish to approach Canada Post for access to these data.”