Monday, February 11, 2019

2016 Census Individuals PUMF Question: Weights Missing

Question:
A researcher here has reported that the 2016 individuals PUMF has no weights for the Stata and ASCII versions. I just checked the SPSS version and that’s the case there, too. I can’t open the SAS file, but I’m not sure if that’s an error with the file or with my version of SAS.

In any event, from SPSS (looks better in a monospaced typeface):

Statistics
Individuals weighting factor 
|-|-------|------|
|N|Valid  |0     |
| |-------|------|
| |Missing|930421|
|----------------|

Individuals weighting factor
|--------------|---------|-------|
|              |Frequency|Percent|
|-------|------|---------|-------|
|Missing|System|930421   |100.0  |
|--------------------------------|

Can anybody offer any insight into this? Would someone mind checking the SAS version?

Answer:
I’m very sorry for all of the confusion regarding the Census PUMF! I think the issue was simply in my SPSS settings on my computer during staging… It looks as if I’ve been able to correct the weight issue (but please let me know if you notice anything that’s “off”).

I’ve also added the SAS, SPSS, and Stata “Command Files” to the RAW data folder for your use as well. I apologize again for the wait with this – it’s the first time we’ve seen these types of files and wanted to confirm that we could distribute them first!