Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Research & Development and Money Spent in Energy Efficiency Programs

Question:
I have a client who is looking for the following information: 

“I was trying to find at StatsCan if they have the numbers of how much of R&D is being spent in Energy Efficiency programs and what programs, if possible, segregated by province. I found a general expenditures table (https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/180828/cg-b001-eng.htm), but I wanted to find something more specific on the provinces and programs as well. Do you think this kind of information is available?”


Answer from DLI:

Good question.  I hope StatCan is gathering this from different sources.  I noticed that the federal government reports on this, but this excludes non federal government R & D investments.

In case you run into roadblocks, Natural Resources Canada’s Office of Energy Research and Development (OERD) is the Government of Canada's co-ordinator of energy research and development (R&D) activities. [https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/offices-labs/oerd/5711] Please see the reports / publications to the right.  This will exclude other funders. 


I don’t know if this next source is overly narrow I think because it includes only NRCan as a funder but it breaks down into technology areas [https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/funding/21146] and by Locations (provinces).  On the other hand, I’m not sure there are other targeted energy efficiency R & D programs. 


Answer from Subject Matter:

“No – we do not provide any detail on energy-related R&D expenditures at the provincial/territorial level.

Table 27-10-0347-01 does provide a breakdown by area of technology.  This is the lowest level of detail we provide for energy-related R&D expenditure data.”