Monday, February 2, 2015

Birth or Fertility Rate for French-Speaking Women From 1950 to 2005

Question

I am looking for a historical table that would provide birth or fertility rates for French-speaking women in Quebec from 1950 to 2005. This is surprisingly difficult to find. Other than some research articles or books that address specific parts of the period, I did not find comprehensive data. If, as I suspect, there is no existing table, would it be possible to obtain a custom tabulation?

I have also contacted the Institut de la Statistique du Québec to see if they would have the data.

Answer

I confirmed with Health Statistics Division who informed me that:

"We do not have this information here in HSD\Vital stats –birth database. The Institut de la Statistique du Québec may be the better option."