Monday, June 23, 2014

Canada Healthcare Spend Data

Question

I am looking for data about healthcare in Canada where I can see the Charges (direct cost, administrative Cost and Other) by Procedure at least for the Procedures with Higher Spend like (Total Joints, Pacemakers, Defibrillators, Spine, etc). Additionally, I am looking for details for the Direct Cost, in a way that I can disaggregate  Surgeon Costs, Implant Cost, Anesthesiologist, etc.Where would I be able to find this kind of data?


Answer

The Health Statistics Division (HSD) confirmed that they had no data on medical costs. HSD included a link to CIHI that might be helpful, though they don’t know if it includes cost by procedure: <http://www.cihi.ca/CIHI-ext-portal/internet/EN/SubTheme/spending+and+health +workforce/spending/cihi015954>.